Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

So we just started the loose leash walking with our new 10 month old Mexican rescue. She was doing ok a few weeks ago but suddenly is super anxious and over stimulated when we go outside. She wont take the treats outside and is not motivated by them at all because she is too concerned about threats in her environment. When we attempt training sessions in the house or back yard out other dog gets too excited about her being on leash and thinks its walk time. I am wondering if I should continue to just walk her without training so that she gets exposure and is desensitized before trying the training sessions?

• Darcie Jennings
        Keymaster

Hi Crystal,

It’s hard for me to say for sure without observing the behaviour firsthand but yes you can certainly walk her outdoors without doing any training just to give her exposure, so long as it’s not making her more upset. Do you know what caused the fearfulness in the first place? ie. was there an event that triggered it? Think back to the time between when she was fine and when she stopped being fine for ideas.

If you’re practicing with her, make sure your other dog is in another room (if you’re practicing indoors) or leave your other dog in the house if you are practicing outside.

Darcie

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.