Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Putting on his collar and attaching his leash, Buck mouths and nips our arms and or hands. He also jumps up (he is a big dog so is as high as my shoulders when he jumps up). We tell him to sit and he may sit or he will slide to the floor and roll around. How do we stop these behaviours so that we can progress in our daily living and training sessions.

• Darcie Jennings
        Keymaster

For the time being, if there are two of you there, have one person offer him a treat and let him nibble on it (without letting the treat go) while the other clips his collar and leash on. I would also practice a sit/stay whereby you have him sit, show him the collar and leash, hide the collar and leash again, then release and reward him for staying in the sit. Repeat until you can gradually show him the collar and bring it closer to his face head before releasing and rewarding him. Keep repeating until you can get the collar all the way around his neck. If he jumps up, take the collar away, put him back in a sit and start again but only reach a partial distance towards him with the collar. Hope that makes sense.

To keep the process simple, make sure the leash is already attached to the collar before putting the collar on. If you have the type of collar that slips over his head, here’s how I would teach him to ‘get dressed’: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg28CYIA6O4.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.